Wednesday, April 15, 2015

After a Fashion by Jen Turano Book Review

22504489 // After a Fashion //

A Class of Their Own // #1

By Jen Turano

{Review by Bethany}

// Book Synopsis //

Taken from GoodReads

"Miss Harriet Peabody dreams of the day she can open up a shop selling refashioned gowns to independent working women like herself. Unfortunately, when an errand for her millinery shop job goes sadly awry due to a difficult customer, she finds herself out of an income.

Mr. Oliver Addleshaw is on the verge of his biggest business deal yet when he learns his potential partner prefers to deal with men who are settled down and wed. When Oliver witnesses his ex not-quite-fiance cause the hapless Harriet to lose her job, he tries to make it up to her by enlisting her help in making a good impression on his business partner.

Harriet quickly finds her love of fashion can't make her fashionable. She'll never truly fit into Oliver's world, but just as she's ready to call off the fake relationship, fancy dinners, and elegant balls, a threat from her past forces both Oliver and Harriet to discover that love can come in the most surprising packages."

// Bethany's Book Review // 

After a Fashion is a fun book full of humorous scenes, totally relate-able uh-ohs, and a sweet tender story, that Turano fans will love!

Those who have read my book reviews for a while might remember that I didn't really like Jen's last book. So I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy After a Fashion, but decided to read it on a whim since the story-line was much different than the last book. I'm glad that I did, because I really enjoyed this story!

After a Fashion is a fun, quick read that is perfect for all those girly girls, but also for those who are a bit more strong willed and tomboyish, as the main character definitely has these qualities. I loved that aspect of the book, how it was girly since it was somewhat based on fashion, but also had an element of funkiness. The story, though somewhat simple, was extremely funny; and Jen's love for humor definitely shined through the story, and kept it fun. I've always loved this aspect of this author's books, since I'm all for a funny story that keeps me laughing out loud!

The story-line was very sweet, clean and ended in a pleasantly unexpected way that surprised me! I was not expecting the ending, and found it to be a very nice surprise that was perfect for the story! The romance was very tender and sweet, and I loved seeing it unfold throughout the story!

Fans of funny historical fiction should definitely look into this novel! It was a pleasant read that made up for my bad experience with this author's previous book, and got me excited for future novels in this series!

D I S C L A I M E R :: I received a complementary copy of After a Fashion for the sole purpose of this review. I was not paid to write this review or promote this book, in any way. All thoughts expressed are completely my own, honest and unbiased opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Commenting! Please make sure that you use clean language, as all comments will be monitored before being published.