Sunday, October 18, 2015

Not by Sight by Kate Breslin Book Review

23411528// Not by Sight //

By Kate Breslin

Book Review by Bethany 

Book Synopsis:

Gripping Sophomore Novel from a Rising Historical Romance Talent

With Britain caught up in WWI, Jack Benningham, heir to the Earl of Stonebrooke, has declared himself a conscientious objector. Instead, he secretly works for the Crown by tracking down German spies on British soil, his wild reputation and society status serving as a foolproof cover.

Blinded by patriotism and concern for her brother on the front lines, wealthy suffragette Grace Mabry will do whatever it takes to assist her country's cause. When she sneaks into a posh London masquerade ball to hand out white feathers of cowardice, she never imagines the chain of events she'll set off when she hands a feather to Jack.

And neither of them could anticipate the extent of the danger and betrayal that follows them--or the faith they'll need to maintain hope.
 
// Book Review //
 
I had the pleasure of reading Kate Breslin's debut novel For Such A Time, and was really impressed with her lovely writing style and intriguing plot! I was was excited for the release of her second novel, Not by Sight, and enjoyed reading it!

I feel like I enjoyed For Such A Time a bit more than Not by Sight, mainly due to the the theme/plot, but still greatly enjoyed this new story. In some ways the characters reminded me of those in The Phantom of the Opera, which I'm sure the author probably used for inspiration when writing this novel. I think I enjoyed the first novel since I really enjoy war time novels and the Holocust which really tugs at my heart strings. This novel is also a war-time novel, but in a different setting and place. While the debut novel is set during World War II, Not by Sight in set during World War I.

I found the story-line and plot quite promising, however I felt as if maybe the story dragged along at points. While it was intriguing and exciting, I felt like there might could have been more happening. I guess it really depends on you personal preference. However I did really enjoy seeing the character development throughout the novel, especially with Clare. 

Overall, I enjoyed this novel, and while not a favorite, still one I'd recommend! I give it 3 out of 5 stars, and would recommend it to war-time novel enthusiasts. 

Disclaimer: I received a complementary copy of Not by Sight from the publisher, for the sole purpose of this review. I was not paid to write this review, all thoughts expressed are completely my own, unbiased honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Commenting! Please make sure that you use clean language, as all comments will be monitored before being published.