Monday, August 25, 2014

With Every Breath by Elizabeth Camden Book Review

18652812// With Every Breath //

By Elizabeth Camden

{Book Review by Bethany}

Publisher: Bethany House
Source: Review copy provided by the publisher
Publication Date: August 5th, 2014
Number of Pages: 368
ISBN: 0764211749
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars 

// Book Synopsis //

Taken from GoodReads

"In the shadow of the nation's capital, Kate Livingston holds a respectable position as a government statistician when she encounters a rival from her past, the insufferable Trevor McDonough. A Harvard-trained physician, Trevor never showed the tiniest flicker of interest in Kate, and she's bewildered at the way he suddenly seeks her out. Surprising even herself, Kate agrees to Trevor's entirely unexpected and risky proposal to work side-by-side with him in his quest to rid the world of tuberculosis, a contagious and deadly disease.

As Kate begins to unlock the mysteries of Trevor's past, she realizes there is much more to him than she could have imagined. His hidden depths may fascinate her, but his most closely guarded secrets and a shadowy enemy lurking in the background carry a serious threat to their future.

When the truth of the past comes out, threatening to destroy everything they hold dear, how will Trevor and Kate ever overcome all that stands in their way?"

 // Bethany's Book Review //

I've been a fan on Camden's novels ever since reading The Rose of Winslow Street, and falling in love with it! Ever since then I've been eager to get my hands on her other novels, and this newest one was no exception, upon it's recent release! I absolutely adored this novel and the characters; however I do feel like The Rose of Winslow Street is still my favorite Elizabeth Camden novel. But, With Every Breath is a close second!

This story surprised me when it captivated me within it's pages, and kept me saying "just one more chapter"; which all book lovers can relate with. I couldn't put it down! The pages flew by for me, despite the fact that I usually pay close attention to the page numbers and how many pages are left in a book. For some reason I'm like that, but with this book I'd look up and think how strange it was that 50 pages just flew by! That is the sign of a good book: if it places you into the story, and makes you loose track of time.

Camden has penned a brilliant novel! While this story doesn't have a whole bunch of main characters, and heavily focuses on the two main characters, it's anything but a drab and bland storyline! I think the fact that Camden chose to focus the story on the two main characters made for a better reading experience, since you really got to know the main characters-which I really did. I definitely felt this way with these characters, and rarely feel such a close connection to book characters. I truly was able to say at the end of this book that I was sad to see the story come to a close!

This story was set in the 1800s, a time when doctors were researching how to cure tuberculosis which was a horrible illness that so many people lost their lives to. The time period in itself was extremely interesting to learn about, but alongside the meaningful characters, it made for an exquisite story, and one that was a favorite of all the books I've read this year!

I would highly recommend this book to all fans of historical fiction, as it's a heart-felt story that will make you sad to finish reading!

D I S C L A I M E R :: I received a complementary copy of With Every Breath through the publisher for the purpose of this review. I was not paid to promote this book, and all thoughts expressed are my own, completely honest and unbiased.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Commenting! Please make sure that you use clean language, as all comments will be monitored before being published.