Thursday, November 14, 2013

Beloved By Robin Lee Hatcher Book Review

17703995// Beloved //
 
Where The Heart Lives // Book #3
 
By Robin Lee Hatcher
 
{Review By Bethany}
 
Title: Beloved
Series: Where The Heart Lives // Book #3
Author: Robin Lee Hatcher
Source: Litfuse Blogger Program/Zondervan Publishers
Number of Pages: 352
Publisher: Zondervan Publishers
Publication Date: September 24th, 2013
Bethany's Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

// Book Synopsis //

"Diana Brennan came west on the orphan train and was given a home with a loving couple who cherished and spoiled her. At 17, she fell hard for Tyson Applegate, the son of a wealthy mine owner. After a whirlwind courtship and marriage, Tyson took off for adventures around the world, including fighting with the Rough Riders in Cuba. Receiving no word of him for seven years, Diana's infatuation with her dashing husband died an ugly death, and she is ready to move past the old pain and marry again, just as soon as Tyson is declared legally dead.

But when her husband returns, supposedly a changed man, he wants to reunite with his wife and run for the senate. While Diana suspects the election is his real reason for wanting her by his side, she agrees to maintain his home and to campaign with him, but when it is over, win or lose, she wants her freedom. He agrees with one condition----she must give him a chance to change her mind about him.
"

// Bethany's Book Review //

This was the first book I've ever read by Robin Lee Hatcher, and though it wasn't a huge favorite for me, I did enjoy it and would consider it a nice, quick, one-time read.

Being that this was the first book I've read by Robin Lee Hatcher, I really didn't know how much I would enjoy Beloved. However after reading it, I'm glad I was able to, and enjoyed the story. This book was very unique to me, because unlike most romance novels that focus on how the two people meet, this book was all about this couple's marriage - which is something you don't see portrayed in novels a lot now days. I found it very unique and different from any other novel I've read. I really liked Robin's writing style, and the course of events and how they were strategically placed in a certain order to add definition to the story. For instance, at the end of every chapter, there would be a flash-back of sorts, to before the two main characters were married, giving insight to the story before the story, so to speak. I sometimes noticed that Robin would strategically have a flash back that would relate to the current place in the story, and found it to be a really neat writing style, that I liked.
 
At first when I started reading Beloved, honestly I wasn't crazy about the story line of a woman who was married, but assumed to be a widow since she hadn't heard from her husband in seven years since he left for war; to all the sudden have her husband who she thought dead, show up at her party with her fiancée. Kind of unexpected. =) It definitely is a unique plot, but for some reason it didn't really make me super excited about the story. It may have been that it seemed a little unrealistic for me, but I'm not sure. However as the story progressed I liked seeing how Tyson had changed since leaving Diana, and how the Lord saved Him, turning his life around and how he began living for Christ. I also enjoyed seeing how this new relationship with Christ changed his actions; and most importantly the way he treated his wife. It was a neat story of redemption and making up for things of the past.
 
I really enjoyed the little boy in this story, Ned. He just added so much to the story for me. Maybe it's because I love little children in a story, as it brings out the best in a person, and it certainly did for Diana as it brought out her kind-hearted personality. I loved seeing how Diana and Tyson took Ned in, and gave him a chance and made his life so much better because of the love that was shown to him.
 
Another thing I did like about this book is how, despite the title, the romance was very clean and minimal. There was just enough to keep the story sweet, but wasn't overpowering or the main focus of the story, which I really appreciated.
 
Overall, though I don't consider Beloved a favorite of this year, I'm glad I was able to read it and loved Robin's writing style. The ending was interesting as well! I would recommend this book for ages 13+ due to brief topics covered, and since the overall plot is about a man trying to win back his wife.

N O T E :: I received a complementary copy of Beloved from Litfuse and Zondervan publishers to read and review. I was not paid to do so, nor am I required to give a good review if I didn't like the book. All thoughts expressed in the review are completely my own, and unbiased by the free book.
 
Enter Today - 10/28 - 11/15!
beloved robin lee hatcher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Commenting! Please make sure that you use clean language, as all comments will be monitored before being published.