Friday, November 1, 2013

Gunpowder Tea by Margaret Brownley Book Review

// Gunpowder Tea // 
 
The Brides of Last Chance Ranch // Book #3
 
By Margaret Brownley
 
{Review By Bethany}
 
Title: Gunpowder Tea
Series: The Brides of Last Chance Ranch // Book 3
Author: Margaret Brownley
Source: Litfuse Publicity Group
Number of Pages: 336
ISBN: 1595549722
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Publication Date: October 8th, 2013
Bethany's Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
 
// Book Synopsis //

"When Miranda Hunt sees the classified ad for an heiress to the legendary Last Chance Ranch, she knows assuming the identity of Annie Beckman is the perfect cover. As one of the finest agents for the Pinkerton Detective Agency, Miranda has been tasked with apprehending the Phantom – an elusive and notorious train robber thought to be hiding on the sprawling ranch.

But she isn’t the only one there with something to hide. Wells Fargo detective Jeremy Taggert is working the scene undercover as well. And although their true identities are a secret, it is impossible for Jeremy and Miranda to hide the spark that flares between them.

But neither is about to let romance interfere with such a huge case. Besides, Miranda hasn’t removed Jeremy from her list of suspects yet. The closer they come to uncovering the identity of the Phantom, the more dangerous he gets – and no one on the ranch is safe.

But neither are their hearts – the longer Miranda and Jeremy spends working together, the harder it becomes to keep their feelings in check. Their careers – and their lives – depend on solving this case. Love will have to wait."


// Bethany's Book Review //

A real page-turning suspense with a nice dose of the wild west is what you'll find in this new novel from Margaret Brownley! Be sure and have a nice cup of gunpowder tea in hand, when sitting down to enjoy this suspenseful page-turner - but be sure and hold on to your tea cup; for this novel will take you on a wild, yet delightful ride!

This was the first book I've ever read by Margaret Brownley, so I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy this book. However knowing that it was a suspenseful western, I knew I couldn't really dislike it all that much; and am so glad I had the opportunity to read this book; as it was so unique and wonderfully written.

Brownley just has a way with getting the western to suspense ratio just right. I loved how the book was a page-turner that often kept me up late into the night, as well as the fact that there were plenty of humorous western sentences that were written in such a western worthy way, it made right proud to be a Texan. :) I also loved how the author wove the story together, making all the "puzzle pieces" fit together just right, making for an enjoyable story with a splendid ending. I also loved how I felt like I related to the character - not because I have anything in common with her, but because of how well described she was. Often times I was so lost in the story that I'd forget I was reading a book!
 
Another thing I liked about this book was how even though it was the third book in the Brides of Last Chance series, I didn't feel like I was missing anything, since I hadn't read the first two books in the series before. Since this book was a stand alone, even though in a series, I liked how I was able to read the series out of order, and still enjoy it without feeling like there were missing pieces from the previous books.

The only down-side in my opinion to this book was how the main character seemed to be very much a feminist to me. While I'm not against a woman being strong and useful, I don't appreciate it when a female takes over and acts as if she were better than a man, for we are all created equal. I just felt like sometimes the main character would be a bit of a feminist, leading to a prideful demeanor, and while it wasn't a ever-present bother, it did annoy me when the trait came up. However it is by no means a deal-breaker, and didn't lessen my enjoying of the story.
 
Overall I really enjoyed this book and loved the suspense and western aspect alongside the sweet, mild romance. I'd definitely recommend this book to historical suspense fans, as well as to ladies who enjoy western novels, as this one doesn't disappoint!

N O T E :: I receive a free copy of Gunpowder Tea through Litfuse Publicity group from Thomas Nelson Publishers and the author to read and review. I was not paid in any way to write this review, and was not required to give a good review if I didn't enjoy the book. All thoughts expressed in this review are my own, and completely unbiased.
 
Enter Today - 10/21 - 11/7!
Gunpowder Tea Margaret Brownley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Commenting! Please make sure that you use clean language, as all comments will be monitored before being published.